3-15. Door Latch Assembly (cont).
Disassemble handle assembly (step (12)) only if damage is suspected.
(12) Slip O-ring (29) off latch handle shaft (30). Punch out spring pin (31) and take handle (32) off latch
b. Inspect and Service.
(1) Check condition of all pins. Replace any pin that is bent, corroded or otherwise deteriorated.
(2) Clean and inspect threads of threaded parts. Inspect threaded inserts for thread damage and replace if
(3) Lubricate all moving parts with silicone lubricant before reassembling.
If handle assembly (1) through (4)) was not disassembled during removal and
disassembly, omit step (1).
(1) Install handle (1) on latch handle shaft (2) so that pin holes line up. Insert spring pin (3). Slip O-ring (4)
over latch handle shaft and into groove.
Only the middle keeper is tapped for installation of a latch lock assembly.
(2) Thread latch lockassembly pin (5) into tapped hole in tapped keeper(6).
(3) Stack shim(s) (7) against bottom of keeper (6), using number and thickness of shims recorded during
disassembly. Position tab (8) of latch lock assembly over mounting hole at raised end of keeper.
Two different length screws are used to fasten the keeper.
(4) Position keeper (6) and shims (7) on shelter wall so that mounting holes lineup and raised end of keeper
is at the bottom. Install long screw (9) with lockwasher (10) through latch lock assembly tab (8) and
raised end of keeper and into threaded insert in shelter wall. Install short screw (11) with lockwasher
(10) in second mounting hole.
(5) Repeat steps (3) and (4) for two remaining keepers (7), omitting latch lock assembly.
c. Assemble and Install. (figure 3-14)