3-18. D-Ring Assemblies (Hand Holds).
This task covers:
General Mechanics Automotive Tool Kit
Sealer (Item 29 or 30, Appendix D)
Lubricant (Item 17, Appendix D)
Gloves (Item 12, Appendix D)
Goggles (Item 38, Appendix D)
General Safety Instructions
Drilling creates metal chips which may enter eyes
and cause serious injury. Eye protection is
The shelter front wall has two D-ring assemblies and two D-rings with clamps. The
shelter roof has one D-ring assembly that serves as a roof handle.
a. Service. Servicing of the hand holds consists of lubricating moving parts. Refer to paragraph 3-1 for
b. Replace. (figure 3-17)
(1) Drill out four rivets (1) and remove D-ring assembly (2), or D-ring (3) and clamp (4), from shelter wall.
(Refer to paragraph 3-9a. for rivet removal instructions.)
(2) Drill out ten rivets (5) and remove hand hold D-ring assembly (6) from roof. (Refer to paragraph 3-9a.
for rivet removal instructions.)
The two rivets mounting the curbside edge of the hand hold (6) require a longer grip
range than the remaining rivets.
(3) Position hand hold D-ring assembly (6) in inset in roof and fasten with ten rivets (5). (Refer to paragraph
3-9a. for rivet installation instructions.)
(4) Position D-ring (3) and clamp (4), or D-ring assembly (2), in inset in shelter and fasten with four rivets
(1). (Refer to paragraph 3-9a. for rivet installation instructions.)
(5) Lubricate as required (para 3-1).