(3) Cut a rectangular patch large enough to extend at least one inch beyond damaged area in all directions.
Thoroughly degrease and clean patch within 72 hours before installation.
(4) Center patch over damaged area, then lightly trace outline of patch on panel face.
(5) Remove paint from panel face within marked outline by sanding or using a solvent. (Do not use paint
stripper.) All traces of paint must be removed.
Drilling creates metal chips which may enter eyes and cause serious injury. Eye
protection is required.
(6) Lay out rivet hole pattern around edge of patch. Rivet holes should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch in from edge of
patch and one inch apart. Drill holes using a no. 11 or no. 12 drill.
(7) Center patch over damaged area of panel.
Drill two diagonally opposite corner holes first, then other two holes, then drill remaining
(8) Using drilled holes in patch as a guide, drill rivet holes in panel face sheet. Be careful not to drill through
opposite face sheet. Insert a rivet in each hole as it is drilled to keep patch in place.
(9) Remove patch and remove all burrs from drilled holes.
(10) If puncture in panel is surrounded by extended cracks, drill a hole at the end of each crack, using a no.
30 drill, to keep crack from spreading.
(11) Prepare adhesive by mixing base material and hardener in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
Use materials within one year from date of manufacture.
(12) Prepare bonding surface of panel face sheet for bonding by sanding until oxide film is removed and
bright surface is exposed.
(13) Inject adhesive into puncture.
(14) After adhesive has hardened, sand until adhesive is flush with surface of panel face.
(15) Remove all contaminants (dirt, dust, oil, etc.) from bonding surfaces of patch and panel face, using a
vacuum or clean, dry cloth. Wipe surfaces with clean cloth soaked in solvent and immediately wipe
solvent from surface with clean cloth. Wear gloves to avoid contaminating surfaces with dirt, oil or
(16) Apply thin, even layer of adhesive to bonding surfaces of panel face sheet and patch. Position patch in
place with sheet fasteners.