Door Latch Assembly.
This task covers:
General Mechanics Automotive Tool Kit
Sealer (Item 28, Appendix D)
Solid Film Lubricant (Item 22, Appendix D)
(1) Inspect the door latch assembly for secure mounting and broken or worn parts.
(2) Inspect for ease of operation.
(3) Inspect the door handle for tightness and for worn or damaged parts.
Service. (Figure 3-23) Service of the door latch assembly consists of lubricating the
door handle (8) and latch arm assemblies (10) with lubricant once per month.
Disassemble. (Figure 3-23)
Disassembly procedures are similar for top and bottom sections of
door latch assembly.
(1) Punch out spring pin (1) and remove flat washer (2) from latch arm assembly
(2) Pull pin (3) and push latch rod assemblies (4 and 5) to the side.
(3) Punch out spring pin (6) attaching the inside handle (7) to outside handle and
shaft (8). Remove inside handle (7).
(4) Punch out grooved pin (9) from underside of latch arm assembly (10) and
remove grooved pin (9) to release the latch arm assembly (10). Pull outside
handle assembly (8) out of door.
(5) Remove o-ring (15) from place on outside handle shaft (8).
(6) Turn the bearing sleeve nut (16) counterclockwise to release the handle shaft
sleeve (17) and remove nut (16) and shaft sleeve (17).
Change 1 3-43